Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q Words (A to Z Blogging Challenge, Day 17)

Back when I gave up eating Taco Bell, Qdoba served as a tasty replacement. Much tastier. Like deciding to eat steak instead of a scrap piece of carpet someone found in an alley.

These aren't all going to be about food, but I've eaten quail. I don't remember being impressed. It was very wee and very expensive and I was glad I wasn't paying for dinner. Related in an avian way: Tiny Chicken would make a fun band name.

Earlier this year, Joyce Brinkman, the first poet laureate of Indiana, invited me to contribute to "Bee Lines," a collaborative poem all about the life cycle of bees. The poem appears in the image below. My quatrain is in the honeycomb cell directly beneath the title.


Queen's "Killer Queen" is easily my favorite song by the band. I like lots of their work, but the lyrics are just fantastic.



At the risk of sounding obsessive, Queen Latifah. Because damn.

Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor (played by Gale Harold and Randy Harrison, respectively) from the American version of "Queer as Folk" are probably my favorite fictional couple of all time. I rewatch the series just to see them together and swoon.

Harrison (L) and Harold

So I just learned the word quincunx, which sounds SO much dirtier than it really is. Now I just need to figure out how to drop it into everyday conversation. WITHOUT giggling.

Okay, one more food one: I'm honestly not sure if I've ever eaten quinoa -- which I pronounced incorrectly until just a few years ago, not realizing that "quinn-noah" and "keen-wah" were one and the same -- but I'm a lesbian and I've been to dinner to other lesbians' houses. I've also attended women's music festivals where vegetarian food was served. I've eaten quinoa.

For years, I've wanted to make a T-shirt quilt, but the farthest I've gotten so far is saving scraps from beloved shirts and thinking that many of the quilts I've seen are desperately ugly. I'd like to take a quilting class someday, but I'm kind of scared of sewing machines. And I can do math (measuring and converting figures, etc.), but I work kind of slowly and get super anxious if I'm rushed through it. Which is just one reason why I cried twice during the Finite Math class I had to take to graduate with a Liberal Arts degree. What else does Q stand for? Quaalude? Thanks, don't mind if I do.

My next tattoo (or at least one of the next two) will be this Adrienne Rich quotation: "The moment of change is the only poem." I'm not sure what other ink to get. I just know I want more color and seven years between tats is too long.

No comments: