Sunday, December 22, 2013

Plan a project

Think Kit, Day 22: Plan, outline, or mind-map a project you want to tackle in 2014.

---

A couple weeks ago, I had grad school on the brain in a big way. Like many of my life ideas, if you will, I feel a burst of energy and inspiration, which fuels my research and Someday! stories. Then the energy fizzles and I lose interest. At the moment, I don't know if I'll get back to my initial level of excitement.

At the peak of my grad school high, I very nearly applied to a creative writing program that only offered an MFA in poetry. I stopped myself when I acknowledged that I will always love poetry, but writing creative nonfiction has become my passion. Because my desire to pursue an MFA -- more than a decade after graduating from college -- came up suddenly, I missed some deadlines for 2014 for schools I'm interested in. This next year, should I continue to be tweaked at the thought of getting an advanced degree, will likely include a lot of research about programs I'm interested in attending and finding out about the faculty: books they've published, writing styles, where they live, how easy their hair is to braid, etc. I haven't narrowed down schools yet. I bookmarked 18 to look at based solely on their location. The eliminations will continue from there.

No comments: